So I found a recipe that Mercedes of The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife called her John Wayne Casserole, that I adapted this recipe from. So my riff on this recipe I decided to call.....
FAMOUS COWBOY CASSEROLE
And although the recipe isn't "famous" yet (hehe!!), the Cowboy it's named after most definitely is!
The first layer is a whole grain baking mix-biscuit layer, then lean ground beef cooked with Taco seasoning (this dish can be made vegetarian by omitting the meat totall
Famous Cowboy Casserole
Also seen on Sourdoughnative
Ingredients1 1/4 pounds ground beef, 95% lean meat ( cooked and drained )
1 package(s) taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups cheddar cheese ( (I used a Pepper Jack-hence the )
1 yellow onions ( sliced )
2 cups Bisquick Baking Mix
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tomatoes ( sliced )
1/4 cup pepperoncini ( sliced )
Directions1. Heat oven to 350F. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 cup cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.
3. Stir biscuit mix, milk and oil to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 11 in. greased casserole dish.
4. Saute remaining onions until slightly tender.
5. On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, onions, pepperoncini, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes to make serving easier.
Adapted from This recipe is adapted from:John Wayne Casserole-The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife.